Anderson Park Renovation
Anderson Park is a 28-acre community park with regional draw located in the heart of Wheat Ridge. It has been managed by Wheat Ridge Parks & Recreation since the City's incorporation in 1969. The park infrastructure system was constructed over time as the park developed and expanded.
In 1972, the Anderson Building was constructed by the Wheat Ridge Volunteer Fire Department. The prefabricated metal building served as the City's offices, council chambers and recreation center.
In 1979, the first outdoor public pool was constructed in what was then named Wheat Ridge Park. The pool was connected to the Anderson Building with the construction of a link or lobby that served both the facilities.
Wheat Ridge Park was renamed Anderson Park, in the 1990s after the first mayor of Wheat Ridge.
Why is Wheat Ridge renovating Anderson Park?
Over the years, the park has grown in popularity and become heavily used for many community events, sports programs, and other activities. As a result, many facilities are showing their age and wear from years of heavy community use.
By maintaining the loved characteristics of the park and updating and improving its amenities, Wheat Ridge Parks & Recreation will be able to meet the growing demands of the community.
The renovation of Anderson Park is one of the four City of Wheat Ridge "Investing 4 The Future" projects funded by 2E, the voter approved 1/2 cent sales tax increase. The budget is approximately 4 million dollars.
Happening in 2019
- Anderson Pool locker room (bathhouse) renovations including the addition of two family rooms
- Anderson Building interior renovations including the addition of an activity/classroom
- Anderson Building roof replacement and exterior renovations
- New lifeguard office
- New access feature to Clear Creek
- New baseball field lighting system installed
- Removable baseball outfield fence installed
- Water clarity feature (water that drains from park will filter before it enters Clear Creek)
- Irrigation system renovation
- Storm sewer improvements
- New park pavilion/performance stage
- New sod around pavilion/performance stage
- New sidewalks and ADA ramps
- Parking lot improvements/resurfacing
- Improved vehicle circulation and parking
- Additional park access from 44th Ave
Still to Come...
- New playground
- Addressing the flooding near creek and playground
Construction began: September 2018
Completed: June 2019
Anderson Park Grand Reopening Celebration
Saturday, June 29, 2019
reopened Saturday, June 1, 2019